Sunday, March 15, 2015

"The Sound of Feminism"

Earlier today I stumbled across a YouTube video titled The Sound of Feminism. The title in and of itself is a little controversial as the video depicts a feminist absolutely laying into some man. At one point in her rant she even calls the man a 'f*ck face'. 
Feminism is currently one of the hottest topics on the market and many are a bit weary to touch on it. In the woman's speech she recites off a paper, "The idea of certain people are inherently more valuable than other people because of superficial physical attributes is part of patriarchy." This doesn't make much sense at all. Don't get me wrong. I believe that women are just as good as men and sexism is very real, but there are certain ways to go about voicing opinions. She claims that men view some women as more valuable than others based off physical appearance. I agree with that statement. While this practice may be unethical I also believe that is the very nature of human existence. Our biological purpose is to find a mate and produce offspring that will survive and be appealing to other humans, thus continuing our species, but I digress. When she says that this is part of 'patriarchy' is when she looses my support. Patriarchy is a system in which men primarily hold power. I don't see how some women being judged by some men fits into that system. A man judging a woman because she is less physically attractive doesn't somehow give the man more power. Maybe I am not fully understanding the argument itself but she doesn't do a great job of explaining it. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment